Cumberland, Maryland (Churches and Synagogues)
first meeting was held July 21, 1905. The church was incorporated February 13, 1906. Reverend and Mrs. Melvin bought a lot at 133 Reynolds Street and Reverend Melvin's mother gave a cash donation for the erection of the church. The church was named Melvin Chapel of the Methodist Protestant Church in honor of Reverend Melvin's mother. On March 21, 1906, a request was made by the Bedford Street Methodist Protestant Church to the Maryland Annual Conference that they accept the Melvin Chapel and set it aside as a charge with Mapleside to be known as part of the Cumberland circuit under supervision of the Bedford Street church. On June 5, 1932, Fairview Church became part of a three church circuit. In 1920, Melvin purchased lots number 109, 111, and 113 Reynolds Street. The official board had decided to buy the location at the corner of Reynolds and Marion Streets. The church was in the process of being moved when this location was bought and a tent was erected at the corner of East and Reynolds Streets for services. In 1954, plans were made to build a sanctuary on the front of the lot facing Marion Street. Groundbreaking was held May 22, 1955. Dedication of the new sanctuary and the burning of the mortgage was held on December 29, 1959. On Sunday, November 24, 1968, the congregation at Melvin Church presented for consecration a new building called the Christian Education Center.
The Fairview Avenue Methodist Protestant Church, now known as the Fairview Avenue United Methodist Church, was formally opened for public service on September 1, 1907 and was incorporated February 12, 1909 as the Fairview Avenue Methodist Church. The present church was built in 1976.
Mapleside Methodist Protestant Church, now known as the Mapleside United Methodist Church, was dedicated February 18, 1906. On March 21, 1906 a request was made by the Bedford Street Methodist Protestant Church to the
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976