Cumberland, Maryland (Churches and Synagogues)
Maryland Annual Conference that they accept the Mapleside Church as part of the Cumberland circuit under the supervision of the Bedford Street Church.
Kingsley Methodist Church was started in 1870 at a site at Oldtown Road and Gay Street and was known as Kingsley Chapel. A committee from the Centre Street Methodist Church selected the site. In 1882 a lot was purchased on Williams Street. The cornerstone was laid in 1883. The church was finished and dedicated June 22, 1884. In 1972 another church was built as an enlargement to the original church.
In 1884, Pastor Finkbiner of St. John's Lutheran Church took charge of St. Paul's Lutheran Church. Through him was organized a Lutheran Sunday School in South Cumberland, from which has grown the present St. John's Lutheran Congregation. The organization of a Sunday School at St. John's Church was on August 3, 1890. As the Sunday School grew to such proportions, and the prospects so bright for continued growth, a lot was purchased and a congregation was organized by the name and title of St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church of Cumberland, Maryland. The incorporation date was October 25, 1892. The church was erected at the corner of Fourth and Arch Streets. On April 12, 1904, a new St. John's Lutheran Church was dedicated at the corner of Fourth and Arch Streets, the site of the old church.
On April 13, 1903, at religious services held in the photograph studio of J. Robert Portmess, a committee was appointed to purchase or build a house of worship for the Central Methodist Episcopal Church South. In July, 1903, the Reverend J. C. Jeter, at public auction, purchased the Ohr property at South George and Union Streets. Later the property was transferred to the Trustees of Central Methodist Episcopal Church South, Cumberland, Maryland. On
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976