Cumberland, Maryland (Churches and Synagogues)
$20.00 worth of lumber. On October 13, 1898, the cornerstone was laid for the Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church South, Grand Avenue, Cumberland, Maryland. The church was opened for the first service on December 1, 1898. Trinity Chapel (Church) Methodist Episcopal South was dedicated on November 12, 1899. Reverend J. H. Kuhlmann was the pastor. This church is now known as the Trinity United Methodist Church.
Reverend J. H. Kuhlmann, seeing the need for a church in South Cumberland below the B&O Railroad crossing on Virginia Avenue, on May 27, 1900, rented a room 16 by 18 feet on the lower end of Virginia Avenue, then known as Little Egypt. Here he organized Agur Chapel on Sunday, May 27, 1900.
In July, 1900, Reverend Kuhlmann reported that lot number 231 on Humbird Street in Humbird's Addition, South Cumberland, could be leased for one year for $10.00 with the privilege of purchase for $125.00. The lot was leased with the privilege of buying the said lot. It was decided to build a small chapel 25 by 35 feet of Gothic style. The work was begun August 2, 1900. The foundation was built without expense, the Pastor and members of the church having done the work. In six days the building was on its foundation. On Sunday, August 5, a terrific storm hit Cumberland. There was some damage in Cumberland, including the Agur Chapel, which was blown to the ground. The next day the men who had built the Chapel met, took the fallen church apart, and began putting it together again. There were only four pieces of lumber broken by the storm. First services were held on August 12, 1900. The church was known as Agur Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church South. Work moved forward during the spring and summer of 1901 and on September 22, 1901, the church was dedicated. This church, today much larger, is now known as the Emmanuel United Methodist Church.
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976