Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Churches and Synagogues)


Churches and Synagogues Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



When Oak Hill Race Track moved from its Virginia Avenue site to the end of Virginia Avenue in 1903, one of the frame buildings left standing was used as a church by the Grace Methodist congregation. This was at the corner of Virginia Avenue and Second Street. The cornerstone for the present church was laid in 1894.

The congregation of St. Mark's Reformed Church was first organized at a meeting held March 24, 1891 in the Grand Army Hall on Baltimore Street. The charter membership was twenty. The name St. Mark's Reformed Church was chosen and a committee was selected to purchase a site. The present church site was bought June 2, 1892. The work of building a church was begun at the site, at Harrison and Park Streets, in the Fall of 1896. The church was finished and dedicated on April 4, 1897. A new, and the present, church was begun and the cornerstone was laid July 21, 1912 and was dedicated on Palm Sunday, March 16, 1913.

In addition to the First Baptist Church on Bedford Street there are several other Baptist churches in Cumberland. The Second Baptist Church is at No. 1 Grand Avenue, at the corner of Oldtown Road, and the newest is called the Grace Baptist Church, at 211 Green Street. This church had its beginning in a converted dwelling on North Mechanic Street in the 1930's.

The Highland Baptist Church was built about five years ago at 1715 Frederick Street. The Ebenezer Baptist Church, for Blacks, on Cumberland Street was built in 1909.

Starting in the early part of this century, a group of people known as Holy Rollers held street meetings or services in rented halls. From this came added members and the name of Pentecostals. As the movement grew




ID:
achm187

Page #:
187

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image