Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Churches and Synagogues)


Churches and Synagogues Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



ever larger, the name was changed to the Assembly of God. Small churches were started. Cumberland today has as many as ten Assembly of God churches.

The Metropolitan African Methodist Episcopal Church for Blacks is located at the corner of Decatur and Frederick Streets and was built in 1892.

The McKendree Methodist Church for Blacks, at 205 Paca Street, had its start on North Centre Street next to the Centre Street United Methodist Church. The original church dates back before 1873. (Note: A Black lady, prominent in the Black community, told me that the attendance and membership at the Black churches has fallen drastically, due to Black people now attending the white churches.)

The First Church of Christ Scientist is located on Washington Street at the corner of Prospect Square in a building built in 1851. From a small room on South Centre Street the move was made to 417 North Mechanic Street. In the early 1930's the church moved to the present site on Washington Street.

2. What Catholic Churches were located in Cumberland? Where were they? When were they in existence? Did any of them change locations? When? Describe SS. Peter and Paul's Monastery. What purpose did it serve? When?

According to a history of St. Patrick's Church, the parish was begun by missionary priests as early as 1790 and a log church was built by these priests about 1795 on the site of the present Carroll Hall on North Centre Street. Recently a plaque was placed at this location in honor of this event. The church in the log house was called St. Mary's. The first pastor of St. Mary's Church was Reverend James Redmond. He arrived in Cumberland in May, 1819. From a small beginning,




ID:
achm188

Page #:
188

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image