Cumberland, Maryland (Churches and Synagogues)
St. Mary's Church grew and the parish register for a ten year period from 1819 to 1829 shows 178 baptisms and 28 marriages. In 1838 a small brick church was built in place of the log church. In 1843, 40 feet was added to the front of the brick church and in 1845 there were added an altar, steeple, organ and bell. In 1849 the building of the present church was begun. It was 130 feet in length, 61 feet wide, and 40 feet to the ceiling. The cornerstone of the new church was laid in 1849 and the dedication took place November 23, 1851. At this time the name St. Mary's was changed to that of St. Patrick's. The style of the architecture of the new church is Ionic. The architect was John Tehan of Frederick, Maryland. The cost was $12,000. The parish register from 1841 to 1851 showed 1,576 baptisms, 354 marriages, and 520 deaths. In 1859 a steeple costing $1,300.00 was added to the church. On September 23, 1866, the cornerstone of St. Edward's Convent was laid. In September of 186 7 the new building was completed and taken possession of by the Sisters of Mercy who opened the Academy and parochial schools in the same month of 1867. During the year 1882, the Brothers of Mary came to Cumberland to take charge of the school. On the 10th of June, 1883, St. Patrick's Church was consecrated. From the parish register, in the years from 1859 to 1885, there were 2,297 baptisms, 375 marriages, and 851 deaths. In 1898, in September, Father Edward J. Wunder became pastor of St. Patrick's Church, and served for 28 years. During this time, Father Wunder became a Monsignor. During his term as Pastor, LaSalle High School was started, as well as the construction of Carroll Hall. Monsignor Wunder also took the initial steps toward the erection of St. Mary's Catholic Church on Oldtown Road. Girls Central High School was started, and LaSalle High School moved into Carroll Hall from the former school building at the corner
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976