Cumberland, Maryland (Churches and Synagogues)
of Fayette and Smallwood Streets. Today, the above schools are consolidated with other schools to form Bishop Walsh High School on Haystack Mountain. The iron fence that was on Centre Street by the church for many years was removed and a concrete wall was erected in memory of Edward Costello who lost his life in an accident.
The South Cumberland section of the City, with its Catholic families who were affiliated with either St. Patrick's or SS. Peter and Paul's Churches, showed such great growth toward the close of the last century that the establishment of a new parish was warranted. Early in 1897, a letter signed by a representative group of the South Cumberland laity was sent as a petition to Cardinal Gibbons. Cardinal Gibbons gave his consent to buy a lot to build a church. This was on March 23, 1897. In the month of June, 1897, an option was taken on a lot in what was then known as Laing's Second Addition, later as Johnson's Heights, and now known as Oldtown Road. On November 12, 1898, the sale of the lots was made final. In 1899, excavation and foundation work started. A contract was signed by Father Wunder and the contractor, William Cornwell, on July 26, 1900, with the stipulation that the work would be finished in a workmanlike manner by December 1, 1900. On September 9, 1900, the cornerstone was laid. First there was an imposing parade of Catholic societies. On this day Cardinal Gibbons confirmed 367 persons. The dedication of the new St. Mary's Church was held on Sunday, January 27, 1901. The building of a new school at St. Mary's Church began May 1, 1903. On May 24, 1903, the cornerstone of the school was laid. The school was opened December 12, 1903. In 1905 a steeple was added to the church. On Sunday, May 28, 1905, the blessing of the bell was held. A high school was added to St. Mary's School in 1910. In 1913 the first high school graduation class
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976