Cumberland, Maryland (Churches and Synagogues)
and Fayette Street a clearing of 25 by 50 feet was left vacant. Back of this space was built the church of the same width, 50 feet. The length was 90 feet. On July 4, 1848, the cornerstone was laid. By the end of 1848, the church was under roof. In March, 1849, Reverend F. Anthony Urbanczeck was appointed the first pastor of SS. Peter and Paul Church, and Brother Adam Parr became the first teacher. The above priest and brother opened a convent of their order in Cumberland. The basement of the church now served as chapel, school room, and monastery. These rooms in the basement were also used for the Pastor's office, the dining room, dormitory, and kitchen. The joint salary for these two pioneers was $30.00 per month. The church was built of brick, being 32 feet high from floor to ceiling with a twelve-foot stone basement. The altars were plain brown wooden tables. The main altar was placed in the front of the semicircular sanctuary, the rear of it being used for the Sacristy. A gift from the Redemptorists Order was received in the form of an organ valued at $150.00. On September 23, 1849, the Reverend Provincial B. J. Hatkenscheid solemnly blessed and dedicated the church to SS. Peter and Paul. The home that was built first for the Novitiate of the Redemptorists became too small. With the priests and the clerics all being crowded into small quarters, it became necessary to build a new home. The home that was built in 1850 was closely connected to the church on the north side, being the same width as the church and extending to the end of the church lot, which was 63 feet. It was a two story building with an attic. The attic was used as a bedroom for a number of students. In 1851 a new home was built for students. It was erected at the southeast corner of the church. In 1868 a new school was built. This was after the Carmelite Fathers had taken charge of the parish
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976