Cumberland, Maryland (Churches and Synagogues)
Early in 1870 ground was broken for a Convent. It was to be just west of the school on Fayette Street. In April, 1870, the cornerstone of the Convent was laid by the Very Reverend Edward Brennan. On October 23, 1870, the Convent was dedicated. In May, 1870, the Ursuline Nuns arrived in Cumberland. The Convent was not ready for occupancy, so they took up residency in one room at the home of Mr. Michael Wiesel on Green Street near Johnson Street.
All additions to the church were completed during the year 1872, with the exception of the decorating. These additions included two side altars with beautiful zinc statues of the Blessed Virgin Mary and Saint Joseph, as well as new stations, a new pulpit, a new organ, and stained glass windows. On October 19, 1873, the congregation was solemnly dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
On July 17, 1875, a deed was executed by Father Cyril O. Carm. to the Reverend Joseph Schuermann O.F.M. Cap. marking the transfer of the local Monastery to the Capuchins. The third religious order to occupy the place, the Capuchin Branch of the Franciscan Order has been in Cumberland ever since, a tenure covering a longer period than the Redemptorist and Carmelite Regimes combined. The first two of the hundreds of members of this Franciscan religious order of Catholic churches who have served in Cumberland were Father Anthony Shuermann and Father Francis Wolf. On December 12, 1875, Pope Pius IX signed the permission for the canonical erection of the Capuchin monastery in Cumberland. In October, 1875, James Roosevelt Bayley, Archbishop of Baltimore, made his first visit to SS. Peter and Paul under Capuchin auspices, confirming 147 persons. In 1879 Cardinal Gibbons confirmed 157 members of the parish. In the early years of SS. Peter and Paul, many beautiful art objects of a religious nature were brought here, including a Bavarian wood carving of Christ on the Cross,
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976