Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Churches and Synagogues)


Churches and Synagogues Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



a Pieta from an art dealer in Cleve, Germany, and a statue of the Sacred Heart was brought from Munich. Beautiful decorated vestments and altar furnishings were brought over from time to time. The work of wood carving of Christ on the Cross was so delicately done that the veins in the wrists and neck are so lifelike as to be startling. The new high altar was completed in 1883. The new St. Joseph's altar was erected in 1885. The work was done by two of the Capuchin Brothers. An addition to the Monastery was built in 1888. During the Centennial of Allegany County in 1889, SS. Peter and Paul was active in the celebration and Father Patrick O.F.M. Cap. was one of the first to extend a welcome to President Benjamin Harrison during his visit to Cumberland. The cornerstone of the parish hall across Fayette Street from the church was laid June 11, 1893. In preparation for the Golden Jubilee of the church whose cornerstone was laid June 4, 1848, SS. Peter and Paul was redecorated and an organ installed. In 1897, Brother Bernard renovated all the statues in the church. The work was done gratis with the exception of the amount paid him for his railroad fare from Summit. The magnificent stained glass windows which are now in the church were imported from Innsbruck in 1902. They arrived in October. Windows of this kind could not be purchased in this country at that time. The cost of these windows in 1902 was $5,280.84. In September, 1902, the wall which surrounds the monastery and garden was completed at the cost of $10,374.97. On August 8, 1908, the parish purchased what was known as Alpine Hall on the northeast corner of Fayette and Smallwood Streets adjoining the Sisters' Convent. Because of the increasing number of children of the elementary grades, Ursuline Academy was transferred from the parochial school building to Alpine Hall, where it remained until the Hall was razed in 1931. On September 10, 1916, the Holy Name Society was organized. In 1926,



ID:
achm194

Page #:
194

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image