Cumberland, Maryland (Churches and Synagogues)
the slate roofing on the tower was replaced with copper shingles. The final picnic held by SS. Peter and Paul parish at Narrows Park was July 4, 1928. The work of razing the Alpine Hall began on February 9, 1931. Excavating for the new school began in March. During the razing of Alpine Hall, the elementary classes were transferred to the Allegany County Academy opposite the courthouse. This building had not been used for several years and the Allegany County Commissioners granted permission for the parish to occupy it while the new school was under construction. At Christmastime, 1939, the midnight Mass was held for the first time since 1900. In World War II, twelve members of the parish made the Supreme Sacrifice. On August 14, 1943, J. Philip Roman passed away at his home on Fayette Street. Reverend John Mountain of Washington, D.C., formerly of St. Patrick's Church, Cumberland, celebrated the Mass. Reverend Father Luke, O.F.M. Cap., read the prayers at the grave, where full military honors were given the deceased, as Mr. Roman had been a captain in the Spanish-American War. Mr. Roman was an attorney and former States Attorney, and a prominent citizen of Cumberland.
In January, 1944, announcement was made that the SS. Peter and Paul Grade School would be tuition-free for those who belonged to the parish, as was Ursuline Academy. The year 1945 marked the 75th year that Ursuline Nuns had been teaching at SS. Peter and Paul. The anniversary was observed by a solemn High Mass on May 20, 1945. Up to 1945, the Ursulines had taught 54,000 children during their 75 years in Cumberland. In 1945, the Ursulines were to celebrate their Diamond Jubilee in the parish of SS. Peter and Paul. At that time the question arose as to the enlargement of the church. A Sacristy of two stories was built on each side of the sanctuary. The Sacristies extended nine feet beyond the length of the church. During 1947 and 1948, to brighten and clean the church,
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976