Cumberland, Maryland (Churches and Synagogues)
re-frescoing was begun, at a cost of $16,500.00. Repairing was done to the monastery and monastery wall. The entire stone work was repointed. For relief from the extreme heat, two fans were installed in the sanctuary and insulation was put in the church and monastery roofs. In September, 1948, a new organ was installed. This is the largest organ in this part of the country. It has almost nineteen speaking pipes, measuring from five inches to sixteen feet in length. There are thirty adjustable combination pistons, twenty-two couplers, and thirty-one stops. The organ has three manuals. The cost of the organ was $20,000.00.
On October 16, 17, 18, 19, and 20, 1948, the Centenary Celebration was publicly observed. The entire student body took part in the pageant, "Lights and Shadows," written for the occasion. There are several Apostolates that the Friars have been involved in from the Cumberland house in recent years. These have included the Chaplaincy of Sacred Heart Hospital, the Chaplaincy of the Newman Club at Frostburg State College, an associate pastorate at St. Michael's, Frostburg, and administration of St. Anthony's Church, Ridgeley, West Virginia.
According the Golden Jubilee souvenir book of SS. Peter and Paul Church, 1848 - 1898, the idea of a monastery first came to Father J. B. Neumann when in 1848 the beautiful and healthy region and the grand location of their Convent on the hill awakened the idea of establishing a novitiate and college at this place. In 1850 a new home was built to be used as a convent and residence for the priests. The building was closely connected on the north side to the church, comprising the entire breadth of the church, 50 feet. Its length extending to the end of the church lot was 63 feet. It was a two story building. The attic floor was afterwards used as rooms for the students, two students to each apartment. In April, 1851, the house and garden were ready for the students. In 1852 it was found that there was
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976