Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Churches and Synagogues)


Churches and Synagogues Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



not sufficient room in the house for the priests and ten students, so four of the theological students were sent to Rochester. The other students continued their course in Cumberland. In 1854 Father Van de Braak laid out the grounds of the garden. In 1855 the college for the students was completed. The lower story-formed a spacious refectory. The three upper floors furnished sufficient room for all. During this year more land was bought for future growth. An addition to the monastery was built in 1856. This new addition was 50 feet by 40 feet, containing five stories. The basement was divided into two large halls. In 1857 there, were seventy students. During 1861 the students removed the walls of three adjoining rooms in the third story, and thus provided a spacious hall which was occupied as an oratory as long as their clerical college remained at Cumberland. On January 8, 1862, the surgeons and quartermaster of the militia stationed in Cumberland came with the intention of converting the monastery into a hospital. Father Van de Braak informed them that in such a case all the members would depart from Cumberland. After an inspection of the monastery, it was found too small, and so the project was not executed. In the fall of 1876 Father Gregory Autsch was appointed guardian of the monastery. On August 11, 1887, a well was started for the benefit of the monastery. It was completed September 26, and was 106 feet deep. An extension to the monastery housing the chapel at Johnson and Fayette Streets was completed in 1888.

The decline of the monastery as a Capuchin theological training center began in the 1920's when the school of philosophy was moved from here to Hays, Kansas, and in 1931 when the school of theology was moved to Washington. Since the closing of the brothers' training center, it has been used as a rectory for the priests who serve SS. Peter and Paul Church, the Church of the Seven Dolors at




ID:
achm197

Page #:
197

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image