Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Churches and Synagogues)


Churches and Synagogues Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



Beans Cove, and as a headquarters for the Capuchin priests stationed in Allegany and Garrett Counties. Members of the Order did everything that had to be done. One brother as a tailor made brown robes worn by the Capuchins. There were also among the brothers shoemakers, carpenters, gardeners, cooks, bakers, launderers, one skilled in medicine, and a barber shop with their own barber, and they even did their own bookbinding and weaving. During the annual Heritage Days festival, the monastery has been open for visitors.


3. What Synagogues were located in Cumberland? Where were they? When were they in existence? Did any of them change locations? When?

B'er Chayim Synagogue at the corner of South Centre and Union Streets was organized in a room at 22 Baltimore Street on April 27, 1853. In 1854 the place of worship was changed to the corner of Centre and Baltimore Streets opposite St. Paul's Lutheran Church. The first rabbi was Reverend Judah Wechsler. The synagogue at the corner of Union and Centre Streets was built in 1866 under the administration of the Reverend Isaac Baum. The synagogue was dedicated by Rabbi B. Szold and Rabbi H. Hochheimer of Baltimore. Ten years after the organization, B'er Chayim had a membership of about eighty. The congregation owned a cemetery on Baltimore Avenue. This cemetery had been an old soldiers' burying ground. While the Jewish community had been using the cemetery for some years, it was not until February, 1873, that the United States Senate passed a bill authorizing the Secretary of War to sell the cemetery to B'er Chayim congregation. At the dedication of B'er Chayim Synagogue, one of the visiting rabbis from Baltimore for that occasion was the father of Henrietta Szold.




ID:
achm198

Page #:
198

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image