Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Churches and Synagogues)


Churches and Synagogues Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



She was the founder of Hadassah. Also invited to the dedication was Rabbi Isaac Mayer Wise of Cincinnati, who arrived one week late for the ceremony, having misunderstood the date. The B'er Chayim Sisterhood was organized as the Hebrew Ladies Aid Society in 1876. The congregation joined the Union of American Hebrew Congregations in 1905. Rabbis serving B'er Chayim were, first, Rabbi Juda Wechsler, who remained one year. He was succeeded by Rabbi Hermann, Rabbi Isaac Straus, and after one year, Rabbi Freundlich, followed by Rabbi Laser, who remained two years. During the Civil War, Rabbi Isaac Gottlieb was in charge. Rabbi Isaac Baum came in 1864 and remained until 1869. During this time B'er Chayim Temple was built. Then came Rabbis Eiseman, 1878 - 1890, J. L. Stern, 1891 - 1904, and Rabbi Morris Baron, 1906 - 1920. The fourteen years that he was Rabbi was the longest term of service of any Rabbi at B'er Chayim. Rabbi Baron was a lawyer by profession, and in 1920 returned to the law. One of the more recent rabbis, Samuel Sobel who came in 1944, resigned to enlist in the U.S. Chaplain Service. He was wounded in Korea and was awarded the Bronze Medal for Heroism in front line action. In 1953 Rabbi Samuel Umen took over. During the Centennial Celebration of B'er Chayim Temple, president Dwight D. Eisenhower sent greetings. Rabbi Umen replaced Rabbi Herbert Wilner, who went to a temple in Bluefield, West Virginia.

On February 28, 1923, a lodge of B'nai B'rith, a national Hebrew fraternal organization, was formed at a meeting held at B'er Chayim Synagogue. Ben A. Kamens was chosen president. The fraternity was called the Simon Rosenbaum Lodge in memory of the late Simon Rosenbaum. In the early 1920's, a group of members of B'er Chayim Temple, being dissatisfied with conditions at the Temple, withdrew to start a new Temple. Pending the purchase of a site




ID:
achm199

Page #:
199

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image