Cumberland, Maryland (Churches and Synagogues)
for a synagogue, the members held services at the parish house of Emmanuel Episcopal Church. The name chosen for the temple was to be the Beth-el Congregation. In March; 1925, Beth-el, meaning House of God, was granted a charter. Dr. E. H. White was elected president. There were 38 charter members. Dr. C. A. Rubenstein of Baltimore was chosen officiating rabbi.
In June, 1925, the Hoye home, 28 Washington Street, at the corner of Prospect Square, had been purchased by the Beth-el Hebrew Congregation from the George Washington Hotel Company. It was to be remodeled into a synagogue. T. W. Biddle was the architect in charge. James C. Powell was the contractor. It should be noted that after about ten years of worship at Beth-el Synagogue, the members disbanded and returned to B'er Chayim Temple. The Beth-el Temple building was then sold to the First Church of Christ Scientist, who are using the building at this time. The Rabbi at B'er Chayim Temple now is Rabbi Edwin Schoffmann, who also serves the Beth Jacob Synagogue. The name B'er Chayim means "well of life." In 1894 - 1895, when the new St. Paul's Lutheran Church was being built at the corner of Baltimore and Centre Streets, the St. Paul's congregation worshipped at B'er Chayim Temple. Many families of the Jewish community had members serving in the armed services during World War II, but none surpassed the family of Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Goodman, who had seven children, five sons and two daughters, in the armed forces. On March 21, 1944, the B'nai B'rith Hebrew Society gave a testimonial dinner in honor of Mr. and Mrs. Goodman. The occasion also honored 73 local Jewish men in service. The president of B'er Chayim Congregation at this time is Arthur Friedland. The B'er Chayim Sisterhood President is Sue Warhaft.
The Beth Jacob Synagogue, located at 11 Columbia Street, started
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976