Cumberland, Maryland (Churches and Synagogues)
with a group of Orthodox Jews, newly arrived in America from their native lands, and wishing to keep their religious and dietary laws, banded together for prayer services, and to observe the Jewish High Holy Days. At first there was no place such as a synagogue in which to worship. For many years the houses of different persons were used, but on the High Holy Days (Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur), due to the larger attendance expected, a hall was rented for the occasion. The third floor of the Odd Fellows building on South Mechanic Street was one of the halls rented. Another in the Morehead Building on North Mechanic Street was also rented, as was Miller's Hall on North Centre Street across from the present City Hall. The Holy Torahs would be kept in an individual's home until the day they were to be used, then carried to the place of worship. Children were kept from school on the High Holy Days, and were expected to attend all services. When the Holy Days were over, the children would return to school with a note for the teacher asking to be excused on account of religious holy days. For many years this was the means of worship.
On November 27, 1913, the Orthodox congregation of the Jewish church were to meet at half past two o'clock at the office of L. Morris, 9 North Liberty Street, to discuss the plans and take action on the erection of a synagogue in this city. Rabbi Sigel, a shoemaker of this city, who had a shoe repair shop on North Centre Street between Bedford and Polk Streets, was the head of the committee.
On September 16, 1920, the local Orthodox congregation decided to erect a synagogue of its own at 256 - 258 North Centre Street. The lot, purchased through the Real Estate and Building Company, fronts 47 feet on North Centre Street and is 126 feet deep. Samuel Swartz, Harry Margolos, Abe Wolf, and
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976