Cumberland, Maryland (Churches and Synagogues)
Morris Kline, trustees of the congregation, closed the deal the previous day.
On October 10, 1921, for the purpose of financing the erection of the Jewish synagogue, various merchants of the city were asked by Mr. Rosenthal of Baltimore and John T. Taylor, this city, for donations of merchandise. A bazaar was held at which the merchandise and other articles were sold, the funds from which were applied to the building fund.
On May 24, 1925, in keeping with the growth of Cumberland, the Orthodox Jews named their congregation Beth Jacob Synagogue, and at last realized their cherished ambition, the erection of a house of worship, for their synagogue was then under construction on North Centre Street. The cornerstone was laid on Sunday, May 25 at three o'clock in the afternoon. The Orthodox Jews of Cumberland and vicinity, in laying the cornerstone of their synagogue, felt that they were contributing to the religious life of Cumberland and were proud of the fact that they could take their place among the churches of Western Maryland.
A procession was formed on South Mechanic Street and headed by the B&O Band, marched to the site of the new synagogue building, followed by a large number of automobiles, containing the members of the congregation, and their friends. The program opened with a selection by the band which was stationed on the floor of the second story of the building. Rabbi Coblentz of Baltimore opened the ceremony with a prayer. Former Rabbi Morris Baron, now an attorney at law of this city, presided. Mr. Baron introduced Cumberland Mayor Thomas W. Koon, who praised the congregation for its efforts in banding together for many years and in building its own house of worship. The mayor extended to the congregation his right hand of good fellowship for himself and the city officials in the great effort which the Beth Jacob Congregation had started. After a selection by the band,
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976