Cumberland, Maryland (Churches and Synagogues)
On October 18, 1924, Rabbi Freedman of Beth Jacob Orthodox Jewish Congregation announced the Sunday School at Beth Jacob Synagogue would start on the following Sunday. Rabbi Morris Baron was in charge.
In December, 1924, a Chanukah entertainment was held in Beth Jacob auditorium by pupils of the Sunday School.
About 1955, Beth Jacob congregation purchased from St. Luke's Lutheran Church their church building on Columbia Street at the corner of Bedford Street. The St. Luke's congregation had built a new church on Frederick Street. This is the house of worship at this time for Beth Jacob congregation. Although there were 73 men and women serving in the armed services during World War II, only one died during service. Harold Yankelevitz lost his life in the Death March of Bataan.
The Rabbi for Beth Jacob congregation, as well as the Rabbi for B'er Chayim congregation, is Edwin Schoffmann. The officers at this time at Beth Jacob are Nathan Boorda, president, Morris Hawtoff, first vice president, George Waingold, second vice president, Harry Stein, secretary, Yale Sander Lewine, treasurer, and Harry Mandell, past president. The Board of Trustees includes Dr. Kenneth Jablon, Dr. Gerald Katz, Norman Kline, Herman Miller, Kay Parnes, and Henry Sauer. The president of the Women's League is Betty Stein, the president of Hadassah is Marylin Brock, and president of the Jewish Welfare Fund is Bert Lazarus.
It is worth noting that the growth of the church in Cumberland reflects that in 1873 there were fifteen churches listed. One hundred years later, in 1973, 71 churches were listed.
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976