Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Entertainment)


Entertainment Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



Dance Hall on the third floor over Kaplon's in 1927; and The Castle Gardens on Columbia Avenue, from 1929 to 1936. Many private clubs had dances then as well as now. The Mayflower Dancing Academy held dances on the third floor of the Queen City Garage building on Union Street in 1924.


3. Where and when were concerts held in Cumberland?

In summertime of years past, one of the pleasant enjoyments was the band concerts in Riverside Park. Every Sunday night from June to September, a concert by a local concert band would be held. On Wednesday nights during the same months, band concerts would be held at the bandstand in the rear of the South End Fire Station between Race and Seymour Streets. Concerts would start at 8:00 PM and be over at 9:00 PM. Concerts would also be held at the Narrows Park, especially on days when picnics would be held, such as Decoration Day, the Fourth of July, and Labor Day. Leading bands were the Cumberland Concert Band in 1892, the Cumberland Municipal Band in 1917, the B&O Shops Band in 1918 and the P.O.S. of A. Band in 1922. Band directors were Lorenzo D. McCauley, 1900; Jesse Hamilton, 1908; Gerard Everstine, 1911; Joseph M. Fradiska, 1917; Professor Harold D. Roemeelmyer, 1918; Theodore E. Charles, 1901; Profess or Frank DeLuca, 1922, of the B&O Shops Band; G. Walter Fisher, 1923 and Professor William H. McIlwee, 1923. A boys' band directed by Lorenzo D. McCauley was organized in 1912. In February, 1913, the Boys' Band gave its first concert at Blaul's Hall, North Mechanic Street. From this band many musicians graduated to the adult bands. In 1919, Joseph M. Fradiska organized a boys' band. During World War I, the Cumberland Municipal Band




ID:
achm212

Page #:
212

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Notes:
P.O.S. of A. is the Patriotic Order of Sons of America

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image