Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Entertainment)


Entertainment Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



appearance of an outdoor picnic.


5. When were pageants held in Cumberland? What kind were held? Where were they held?

On February 14, 1887, Germania Maennerchor Society, at Maennerchor Hall on the corner of South Centre and Harrison Streets, would have a masquerade ball, including three grand tableau, exhibiting over 500 costumes of all nations. Music would be furnished by Professor Zimmer's orchestra. Cos. A & B of the Maryland National Guard and the Cumberland City Band had been invited to attend in full uniform. Tickets were one dollar, admitting one gent and two ladies. On January 5, 1890, for the benefit of Cumberland Lodge #63, B.P.O. Elks, "Egypta, " a gorgeous spectacle and festival of song, was staged at the Academy of Music. Nearly 200 people took part. Stars of the local production were Mrs. Lena Deremer Turner, Miss Rene Baxter Sizer, Miss Ester Shilling, William L. Morgan, W. C. Perry, Arthur Laney, Victor Darnell, Anthony Reese, and Thomas Myers. Mrs. E. W. Lockman acted and sang the part of Pharaoh's Daughter. On May 25, 1893, Cumberland Lodge #63 Elks presented the sixth annual benefit. It was held at the Academy of Music and the performance was Gilbert & Sullivan's opera, "H.M.S. Pinafore." Local leads were J. Allen Pegley, Charles B. Ferguson, and Little Hattie Porter as "Tommy Tucker." The line to purchase opera seats formed at ten minutes of seven the night before the morning the box office was opened at eight o'clock. This had never before happened in Cumberland. On June 12, 1908, the Potomac Club presented at the Maryland Theatre the tuneful




ID:
achm215

Page #:
215

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image