Cumberland, Maryland (Entertainment)
large parade during the Sesqui-Centennial in 1937 and night and day parades during the Bicentennial of Fort Cumberland in 1955. When any convention, such as firemen's or fraternal orders were held, a parade would usually be held. Today there is an annual Dapper Dan parade.
7. Where were bazaars and winter fairs held? By whom?
On December 11, 1871, a grand fair and festival for the benefit of the New Brass Band was held at Belvedere Hall, Baltimore Street. Top prizes to be raffled off were a gold watch and chain and a valuable horse secured at a cost of $250.00.
On October 15, 1871, the choir of the English Lutheran Church (now St. Paul's) gave a benefit concert at the church on the corner of Baltimore and Centre Streets, for the sufferers of the Chicago fire. Tickets were fifty cents.
When the Academy of Music, now City Hall, burned on March 14, 1910, the Masons and Eastern Star Lodges were without a home. Shortly after, the Masons bought the Orrick property on Greene Street adjoining the Emmanuel Episcopal Church, the property being part of Fort Cumberland. The Orrick house had burned down March 26, 1906. In order to raise money toward the new Masonic Temple to be built on this property, the ladies from the Eastern Star and the Masons held a lawn festival on the property. There were booths such as candy, apron, ice cream, bric-brac, country store, and supper booth. Much money was raised toward the building fund. The affair was held July 4, 5, 6, and 7, 1910.
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976