Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Entertainment)


Entertainment Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



On Tuesday, March 13, 1912, the new City Hall was officially opened. Permission was given to the Associated Charities to hold a bazaar in the City Hall. Set up were a care table, apron booth, country store, candy, linen, and refreshment booths. The bazaar was in charge of and for the benefit of the Associated Charities.

With the coming of the fall and winter weather, the fair season would start. Fairs were held from September to April, some for one week, some longer. A favorite place to have fairs was the Miller's Hall on North Centre Street. Other places were the Eagles Home, the Old and New Armory on South Centre Street, the K of C Home on North Mechanic Street, the Roseland Dancing Academy, Robert's Hall on Virginia Avenue, also known as the Y.M.I. Hall, and the Dreamland Hall, South Cumberland.

On August 25, 1928, a bazaar was held outdoors in back of St, Patrick's Church on North Centre Street. A type of fair or bazaar is now being held by some fraternal orders. They are called Las Vegas Nights. At the old time bazaars, about one-third of the floor space would be blocked off for the dance floor. It was park plan or ten cents a dance. Booths would be for a paddle wheel, a form of gambling, and a refreshment stand. Some bazaars would have other booths.


8. Did carnivals and circuses come to Cumberland? When? Where were these events held?

On June 8, 1867, Mike Pipman's Colossal Circus and trained animals, performing bears, sacred bull and featuring Madame Bridges' favorite




ID:
achm222

Page #:
222

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image