Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Entertainment)


Entertainment Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



by Antonio LaManca and Helen Dawson and her orchestra.

On February 17, 1927, pupils of Columbia Street School presented the operetta, "The Fairy Shoemaker." Over one hundred were in the cast.

On March 17, 1928, the Declamation Contest of Penn Avenue High School was held in the school auditorium. Winners were Elizabeth Watkins and Melvin Sack. Miss Watkins' reading was "The Punishment of Mary Louise." Mr. Sack held the audience spellbound with his relating of the story of the death of Benedict Arnold.

On December 20, 1929, the pupils of grades five and six of Gephart School, Frederick Street, presented "The Story of Christmas" and again on December 21, Wednesday, at 7:45 PM. Characters were angels, shepherds, wisemen, Mary and Joseph, and a thirty voice chorus.

On December 17, 1915, at Centre Street School, the pupils gave short plays based on Charles Dickens' "Christmas Carol." There were nineteen skits.

On April 8, 1916, Arbor Day was observed at Centre Street School. A tree was planted in memory of the late George M. Perdew, former principal. The pupils also planted many flower seeds. Two hundred eighty pupils took part.

A music festival was held at Fort Hill High School auditorium on April 21, 1946, with the combined high schools of Allegany County, and was well received by a large crowd. Both Allegany and Fort Hill High Schools took part. Directors were, at Allegany, Dorothy Willis on, and at Fort Hill, Dorothy Sebree Pelling. The program opened with "The Tannhauser March" and closed with "The Star Spangled Banner."




ID:
achm233

Page #:
233

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image