Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Marble used in local construction


Marble used in local construction Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



The spring enclosure at the Kefauver homeplace, on Park Hall Road. The slab on top is marble.

According to Ed Itnyre, the current owner of the property, the enclosure was constructed at the time that Lockwood Rines owned the land. Rines and his wife Mary owned the Kefauver homestead from 1903 to 1916. Rines was also listed as the operator (Maryland Geological Survey: General Reports, 1909) or the President (1910 Census records) of the Washington Marble Company, the company who operated the mine on the Shifler land near Rohrersville.

No use of marble was made in construction prior to the Rines' ownership of the property so it can be surmissed that Lockwood Rines brought the marble from the quarry which would have been a mile from the house.




ID:
wcmq080

Creator:
WMRL

Notes:
Photograph taken on the property of Ed Itnyre. The pottery shards on the slab have been found in the area.

Date:
2009-02-12

Collection Location:
Rohrersville, Md.

Subject:
Quarries and quarrying, Maryland; Marble, Maryland; Washington County (Md.), history

Coverage:
Washington County (Md.), 1900-1950

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image