Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search

Words or Phrase:

Search Method Help Image

Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
Shepherdstown from Ferry Hill ( more details)

Lock 38 Area Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information


This photograph was taken looking across the Potomac River at Shepherdstown, West Virginia from Ferry Hill plantation on the Maryland side. At various times before and after the Battle of Antietam both Confederate and Union troops had camped at Ferry Hill, which is situated three miles southwest of the town of Sharpsburg, Maryland.

At the bottom of the hill is a group of buildings known as Bridgeport and Lock 38 of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal. Across the river (background) is the town of Shepherdstown. Extending across the river are the abutments of the bridge that once connected the two states. Burned in 1861, the bridge was not replaced for 10 years, during which time once again a ferry served the crossing. The gentleman standing on the hillside (foreground) is not identified, but may be the Reverend Robert Douglas, owner of Ferry Hill plantation at the time of the Civil War.

Ferry Hill was built by John Blackford c. 1813 and was a working farm until the 20th century. The large white house was used as a hotel, while down at the lock there was a feed store that was later converted into a bath house before it was destroyed in the 1936 flood.


Bachrach, David

The image and description were provided by Maryland Digital Cultural Heritage

The building to the left of the road up from the River on the Shepherdstown side is Shepherd Grist Mill, the large white building the other side of the road is the Mecklenburg Tobacco Warehouse, built by Thomas Shepherd for the inspection of tobacco prior to its shipment downriver. The warehouse parallel to the river is the Billmyer Warehouse (destroyed by arson in 1894). The piers of the bridge are those of the 1840s Covered Bridge.


Collection Location:
Maryland Department, Enoch Pratt Free Library

Original Size:
18 x 23 cms

Chesapeake and Ohio Canal (Md.); Washington County (Md.), History

Maryland, 1824-1938

Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image