Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Ferry Hill and Lock 38 Area ( more details)


Ferry Hill and Lock 38 Area Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



Ferry Hill, across the river from Shepherdstown, on the top of the hill, was built by John Blackford c. 1813 and was a working farm until the 20th century. Lock 38 was a busy area with traffic from the canal and travelers from West Virginia. The large white house was used as a hotel while down at the lock there was a feed store that was later converted into a bath house before it was destroyed in the 1936 flood.



ID:
wcco009

Rights:
Public domain

Notes:
Mile 72.8
NPS File 953

Date:
unknown

Collection Location:
C&O National Historic Park

Subject:
Chesapeake and Ohio Canal (Md.); Washington County (Md.), History

Coverage:
Maryland, 1824-1938

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image