Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Charles Mill ( more details)


Charles Mill Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

      



Charles Mill

Benjamin F. Charles built a grist and plaster mill around the turn of the 19th century that was powered by the Big Spring Run that flowed into the Potomac River. A water wheel that was 20 feet in diameter powered the mill with water from the Run and, when the canal opened, wheels were added to use the canal’s current for energy and the transportation of goods to major markets such as Georgetown.

The picture was taken by John P. Cowan during his trip with his wife down the canal around 1916. He labeled their adventure “Sometub’s Cruise” after the little boat they used to zip up and down the waterway.




ID:
wcco024

Creator:
John P. Cowan

Rights:
Public domain

Notes:
ST-8
Mile 108.13

There is another mill, at one time named the Charles Mill. It was at Mile 88, the area now known as McMahons Mill. Over time that area has been called Charles Mill, Grove Mill, Shaffer's Old Flouring Mills and Avis Mill.

The PDF is the account of the Sometub's adventure.

Date:
1916

Collection Location:
Library of Congress

Subject:
Chesapeake and Ohio Canal (Md.); Washington County (Md.), History

Coverage:
Maryland, 1824-1938

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image