Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Lock 33 ( more details)


Lock 33 Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



A berm is apparent at the upper end of this lock, resulting in the upstream gate part of the lock being raised higher than the top of the lock and the towpath going over the berm. Such a berm would have provided some protection to the lock and the canal below it when flood waters rose to the towpath level upstream from the lock. However, the berm is not high enough to provide much protection if the flood was a large one. The small white building between the towpath and the river is a lock shanty and it provided the locktender protection from the weather as well as a place to rest. Locks were operated 24-hours a day and thus a shanty in which a cot could be kept and often a stove for preparing meal s or providing heat was a necessity.

In 1875 John Winter & Bro. dealt in Flour, Feed and Grain at Lock No. 33 ( Boyd's Business Directory, 1875, and Marsha Walsh had a variety store ( Boyd's Business Directory, 1875).




ID:
wcco044

Creator:
Consolidation Coal Company

Rights:
Public domain

Notes:
Mile 60.7

A lock is a chamber used to lift or drop water levels in order for a boat to move across elevation levels. There are 74 lift locks that rise 605 ft from Georgetown to Cumberland. The locks were tended by lockkeepers that would operate the locks for the canal boats that would arrive at any time of the day on their way either to Georgetown or Cumberland. Materials used to build the locks ranged from Aquia Creek Freestone, Granite, and Seneca stone to wood and cement on the upper composite locks. The locks would also be a place for canallers to trade or buy supplies that they would need for their long journeys.

Date:
c.1920

Collection Location:
C&O National Historic Park

Subject:
Chesapeake and Ohio Canal (Md.); Washington County (Md.), History

Coverage:
Maryland, 1824-1938

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image