Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
A canoe at Shepherdstown ( more details)


Norfolk & Western RR Bridge at Shepherdstown Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



The portage from Canal to River at Shepherdstown, WV.

A picture from one of the many canoe trips made by the Shawnee Canoe club, the three members are traversing the slope from the towpath to the river below. In the background is the Railroad Bridge.




ID:
wcco049

Creator:
Richard Shriver, Shawnee Canoe Club

Rights:
Public domain

Notes:
Mile 72.6

Boating and canoeing were always popular in the river, the canal, and streams around Cumberland… Much boating and canoeing was done in the C&O Canal. On July 4, 1914, at a water meet between the Potomac Club and the Loyal Order of Moose, a canoe race was part of the program. It was a two man race and was won by Henderson and Smith. Second were Diament and Hooper; third, Shaffer and Powell. The newspaper of the day stated that these gentlemen "skimmed along the water's surface with the dexterity of an Indian moose hunter."

An exclusive club, called the Shawnee Canoe Club, was organized April 24, 1896. Their headquarters were located at a boathouse on a lot fronting 220 feet on Water Street and extending to the Potomac River at the south end of Riverside Park. The building was two stories and had a dance hall, kitchen, two bathrooms, and had racks to store the members' canoes. The club was organized by the late Robert Shriver, who was president of the First National Bank. The club was disbanded in 1927. The reason given was the pressure of everyday business by the members and the increased use of automobiles.
from Cumberland Maryland, through the eyes of Herman J. Miller

Date:
1904-06-23

Collection Location:
C&O National Historic Park

Subject:
Chesapeake and Ohio Canal (Md.); Washington County (Md.), History

Coverage:
Maryland, 1824-1938

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image