Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Steffey and Findlay and F. H. Darby ( more details)


near Lock 44 Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



Both the Steffey and Findlay Company and the F. H. Darby and Sons Company were located on the berm side of the canal just upstream from Lock 44 around the turn of the 19th–20th centuries. They dealt in coal and grain, and as can be seen in this photo, a Western Maryland Railroad spur ran along the berm of the canal from the Cushwa Basin area to their location. The R. Paul Smith coal-fired generating station was built in 1923 on the land between the canal and the river.



ID:
wcco056

Rights:
Public domain

Notes:
Mile 99.4
NPS File 1128

Date:
unknown

Collection Location:
C&O National Historic Park

Subject:
Chesapeake and Ohio Canal (Md.); Washington County (Md.), History

Coverage:
Maryland, 1824-1938

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image