Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Round Top Cement, 1863 ( more details)


near Hancock Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



Cement, Cement

WE are the SOLE AGENTS for Hagerstown and vicinity, for the
Round Top Cement,
manufactured near Hancock, Md., and have now on hand, a quantity for sale, at wholesale or retail.—
Also, TAR in Half Barrels.
April 8, 1863.       

D. ZELLER & CO.
Greencastle Pilot, please copy-.




ID:
wcco088

Creator:
Herald of Freedom and Torch Light

Rights:
Public domain

Notes:
The Round Top Cement Mill was constructed in 1837 by George Shafer and was sold to Robert Bridges and Charles W. Henderson in 1863. The cement mill would burn to the ground and be rebuilt in 1846, 1897, and lastly in 1903. During the time the mill was operating, it claimed to produce up to 300 barrels a day of natural rock cement with a crew between 50–100 men. The cement was used up and down the Potomac Valley, especially during the construction of the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal. It wasn’t long after the 1903 fire and the construction of the Western Maryland Railway that the company officially ceased operations.

Date:
1863-04-08

Collection Location:
WCFL

Subject:
Chesapeake and Ohio Canal (Md.); Washington County (Md.), History

Coverage:
Maryland, 1824-1938

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image