Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Williamsport ( more details)


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



View of the toll bridge at Williamsport which is now the Rt. 11 Bridge. The temporary railroad bridge across the canal was built in 1923 by the Potomac Edison Company to transport coal across the canal. That same year a steel lift bridge was constructed to allow canal boat traffic to pass underneath. In 1924 the canal was severely damaged in a flood stopping all boat traffic and the lift bridge would rarely be used thereafter.

The building at the head of the Rt 11 bridge, on the right of the photograph, is the toll house. This was a toll bridge until 1958.




ID:
wcco106

Creator:
Hiedwohl, Hagerstown

Rights:
Public domain

Notes:
99.73 Mile
NPS File 1191

Collection Location:
C&O National Historic Park

Subject:
Chesapeake and Ohio Canal (Md.); Washington County (Md.), History

Coverage:
Maryland, 1824-1938

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image