Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search

Words or Phrase:

Search Method Help Image

Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
Lock 49 ( more details)

Family at Lock 49 Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information


Family of Sam Taylor, lockkeeper and resident at lock 49 from 1889-1924.

In the background you can see the Snyder-Fernsner store at lock 48 that was operated until the early 1920’s by Samuel Fernsner and Jacob (Jake) H. Snyder. The store was located above the by-pass flume. James Flynn had leased canal property to build a general merchandise and feed store in 1875. Joseph M. Smith and William Smith of Smith and Brother bought the store and merchandise in 1876 and established a dry goods establishment selling hats, caps, boots and shoes. Records show that by 1884 Sam Fernsner and Jacob H. Snyder had the lease on the Smith & Brother store. Snyder & Fernsner sold items such as knitting needles, candy, canned goods, black powder, coffee, baled hay and bread (Mastrangelo).


Public domain

108.7 Mile
NPS File 1334


Collection Location:
C&O National Historic Park

Chesapeake and Ohio Canal (Md.); Washington County (Md.), History

Maryland, 1824-1938

Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image