Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Hancock, P.T. Little's store ( more details)


Hancock Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



The canal reached the little town of fewer than 400 residents, Hancock, in April of 1839. At the arrival of the canal mills, warehouses and stores opened in hopes of taking advantage of the new trade. P.T. Little’s store would have done business in the local area along with canal trade.

P.T. Little was listed in the 1880 census as "keeping a grain store." By 1900 he was a "merchant (general store)." Little had previously been a mule driver and steered his father’s boat while a teenager. In his twenties he owned and captained boats on the canal ( Leatherman). The warehouse was thought to be the biggest one between Georgetown and Cumberland.




ID:
wcco133

Notes:
E.M. Leatherman, Hancock, 1776-1976 [Hagerstown, Md.] : E.M. Leatherman, [1988].

Collection Location:
Hancock Historical Society

Subject:
Chesapeake and Ohio Canal (Md.); Washington County (Md.), History

Coverage:
Maryland, 1824-1938

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image