Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Steamboat in Williamsport ( more details)


Loading coal Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



Wharfs were designed to facilitate the loading and unloading of canal boats and grew up along the line of the canal wherever the need emerged to transship cargo from land to boat or visa versa. Typically the wharfs would be on the berm of the canal, and consisted of a stone wall and other facilities for the storage and transfer of cargoes.

The Cushwa coal wharf was one of the largest and most active on the C&O Canal, and served not only local needs, but customers that could be served by using the Western Maryland Railroad once its branch line reached the wharf. Over the years a variety of machines were built on the wharf to lift coal from the boats to rail cars or nearby storage piles. Boats, however, varied little once the standard canal freight boat was developed.

One change that did occur was the emergence of steam freighters, beginning in the 1830s but it was sporadic because of company financial problems. By 1850 N.S. Denny & Co. was operating a fleet of steamboats on the canal, and by 1876 there were sixteen (Jackson). The use of steam boats peaked in the 1870s—the canal’s heyday—and in 1879 there were nineteen such boats operating on the canal. From time to time steamboats that carried passengers were also operated on the canal. One such boat, the Flying Cloud, which could carry both passengers and light freight, operated in the early 1860s until burned by General Jubal Early’s Confederate troops during his invasion in July 1864.

In this photograph the boiler stack can be seen at the stern of the boat along with a steering wheel instead of a tiller. The panels of the cargo holds are seen stacked up and coal can be seen still in the rear hold. Coal is being loaded onto a Western Maryland railcar. There is also a steam engine powering the stiff legged derrick to lift the coal from the boat into the waiting coal car.




ID:
wcco146

Notes:
From the collection of the Western Maryland Railroad Historical Society.

R. P. Jackson, The Chronicles of Georgetown, D.C., from 1751-1878; Washington DC, R O Polinhorn Printer, 1878.

See also Cushwa and Sons, 1898 -Bill for Georges Creek Coal

Date:
1875 - 1880 ?

Collection Location:
WMRRHS, Union Bridge

Original Size:
9 x 13 cms

Subject:
Chesapeake and Ohio Canal (Md.); Washington County (Md.), History

Coverage:
Maryland, 1824-1938

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image