Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search

Words or Phrase:

Search Method Help Image

Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
McCoys Ferry ( more details)

Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information


McCoys Ferry across the Potomac River is first mentioned around 1835 by the canal company as a place for a warehouse to be built to receive cement for the construction of the locks. On October 10, 1862 Confederate General J.E.B Stuart used this crossing, and the large road culvert that was built under the canal, to travel up toward Chambersburg and gather provisions while causing havoc along the countryside. In 1890, company records still list a warehouse being operated by Frank Winter just above McCoys Ferry.

On the far right of this photograph notice the trestle bridge of the Western Maryland line over Green Spring Run.


H. Frank Beidel [?]

Public domain

From On the line of the Western Maryland, date unknown.

Collection Location:
Western Maryland Room, WCFL

From On the line of the Western Maryland, date unknown.

Chesapeake and Ohio Canal (Md.); Washington County (Md.), History

Maryland, 1824-1938

Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image