Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search

Words or Phrase:

Search Method Help Image

Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
The Community of Four Locks ( more details)

Four Locks Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information


The community of Four Locks grew as a direct result of the C & O Canal and the businesses associated with Canal operations. This "permanent" community thrived as long as the canal was operating. Family names of Four Locks included the Florys, Flynns, Snyders, Meyers, Taylors, Fernsners, Bowers, Mouses, Harts, Mosiers, Brewers, and Crawford. At different times, however, two families - the Prathers and the Hassetts - played major roles in the founding and leadership of Four Locks, Maryland.

Most of the land obtained by the C & O Canal Company in the early 19th Century was owned by Samuel Prather. The majority of early deeds in the Lands Records of Washington County refer to lands originally owned by Samuel Prather and condemned by the Canal Company. While certainly not planned this way, Samuel Prather's role as the prominent landowner cannot be denied. One example of this is shown in a brief history of the Thomas Hassett House - the large two-story stone dwelling on Four Locks Road overlooking Lock 47 and the Potomac River...


Mike Mastrangelo


Collection Location:

C&O Canal National Historic Park

Chesapeake and Ohio Canal (Md.); Washington County (Md.), History

Maryland, 1830-1940

Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image