Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Ferry Hill Plantation House (Historic Structure Report, part 1 more details)


part 1 Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



Built by 1820, the Ferry Hill Plantation House is a significant structure—considered architecturally, historically, and culturally. The property is located in the Conococheague District of the C&O Canal National Historical Park at mile-post 73.02. The house represents a fine example of rural Federal-style design. A great many of the property's character-defining features exist today in exceptional condition. The mansion's location at a promontory on the Maryland side of the Potomac River, with vistas out toward Shepherdstown, West Virginia, proved strategic during much of the Civil War, with forces from both the North and the South occupying the grounds and facilities at various time throughout the conflict. The plantation house pre-dated the construction of the C&O canal, an engineering marvel that ultimately traversed part of this property's land adjacent to the Potomac River. For six generations, under three families related by blood or marriage — the Blackfords, Douglases, and Beckenbaughs — the property was managed as a plantation estate. Much of the social history of the property's early years has been preserved in a series of diaries written by John Blackford, adding to the significance of the complex and increasing our understanding of its operations and economics. Captain Henry Kyd Douglas, a Confederate officer under General Stonewall Jackson's command grew up in the home and wrote memoirs.



ID:
wcco229

Creator:
GWWO Inc.

Date:
2005-09

Collection Location:
C&O National Historic Park

Contributor:
National Park Service

Subject:
Chesapeake and Ohio Canal (Md.); Washington County (Md.), History

Coverage:
Maryland, 1830-1940

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image