Elks Lodge. 1929
History of Hagerstown Lodge No. 378
Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks
HAGERSTOWN Lodge, No. 378, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, was instituted on June 24th, 1897, with a membership of thirty-seven. A meeting room was secured in the Market House building and regular sessions of the Lodge were held there until September 1st, 1898, when larger quarters were secured in the second story of the Hamilton building on North Jonathan Street. Here, for almost six years, the Lodge remained, but during that time the membership had grown to such an extent that it became necessary to make another change, and accordingly, in 1903, a movement was started which had for its object the securing of a permanent location and the establishment of a Home which would be commensurate with the needs of the Lodge. In April, 1903, the present location, on South Potomac Street, near the Public Square, was acquired and immediately the erection of the present Home was started, and as a result, on September 22nd, 1904, the "Elks' Hall" was dedicated with appropriate and interesting ceremonies and the Lodge took formal possession of its present Home. Since that time the "Elks' Hall" has truly been a Home for the Elks, not only of those who live in Hagerstown but also for those who come from other Lodges, and who always find the latchstring out and a warm and cordial welcome awaiting them. While the present Home has for many years so well served the purposes intended, Hagerstown Lodge has now outgrown the Home and plans are being made to enlarge the same. When the additions contemplated have been made Hagerstown Lodge will have one of the best equipped and finest Homes in the country.
While the "Elks' Hall" is primarily for the use of the members of the Lodge the members are not unmindful of their duties in a social, civic and patriotic way and of the obligation which they owe to the community, and therefore, on numerous occasions the Hall is thrown open for social, patriotic and civic functions. The membership of Hagerstown Lodge at the present time is 450. Such a body of men, representing the community as they do, and working harmoniously together, make a force whose influence cannot be ignored, and it is always the desire of the membership to have this force working on the side of progress, improvement and the betterment of the community as well as of the Order. During the thirty-two years of its existence Hagerstown Lodge has accomplished much along these lines and it is confidently predicted that its future will be equally as worthy as its past, and that the coming years will offer up even broader fields for its activities and it will continue to grow in strength, in influence, in worthy acts, and that in an ever increasing degree it will continue to hold the esteem and the respect of all who have opportunity to see and understand the purposes and objects for which the Order unceasingly strives.
From the Ninth Annual B.P.O.E. Tri-state Convention Program
36 x 30 cms
Printed by Hagerstown Bookbinding and Printing Co., Hagerstown
Elks (Fraternal order). Hagerstown, Md., Lodge no. 378, history
Hagerstown (Md.), 1903-1950