Situation and Early History - continued
This now great trunk line has expanded, until by its branches and connections our city is in direct communication with all the great cities of this country. With New York, with Baltimore, Philadelphia, Chicago, Cincinnati, and St, Louis; with the great Lakes, at Sandusky, with the great inland rivers, at Wheeling and Parkersburg, and with ocean commerce at Baltimore. By the Connellsville route, running from Cumberland, this city is placed in close connection with Pittsburgh, and by the Bedford and Huntingdon Branch of the Pennsylvania Railroad, with Philadelphia and New York, by that route also, and with the important cities and towns of Pennsylvania.
The city is on the outer edge of the great Coal Basin which goes by its name, connected with it by the lines of the Cumberland and Pennsylvania Railroad, and the Cumberland Coal and Iron Company's Railroad.
The population of Cumberland according to the census of 1870 was 8,056; in 1873, 11,300. As the city has grown rapidly since that time it is probably safe to estimate its present population at about 13,000.
It is an incorporated city, governed by a Mayor and Board of Councilmen; with a regularly organized police force. The city is lighted by gas, and supplied with water from the Potomac river, by the "Holly system of fire protection and water supply."
It has three Banking institutions, two National and one Saving's Bank. The city supports two daily and two weekly papers, published here.
Situated at an elevation of from six to seven hundred feet above tide level, the city is free from miasma, and its climate healthy and pleasant.
There are sixteen Churches, viz: One English Lutheran, two German Lutheran, three churches and one chapel belonging to the Methodist denomination, and one chapel belonging to the colored conference of the same denomination, one Baptist, (white) and one ditto (colored) congregation, two Catholic churches, one Presbyterian, one Protestant Episcopal, and one German Reformed church, and one Jewish Synagogue. Several of the church buildings of our city are very handsome, and by their picturesque
Allegany County Public Library
21 x 14 cms
Board of Trade of the City of Cumberland
Mines and mineral resources, Maryland, Cumberland
Cumberland, Md., 1870s