Marble for Clara Barton monument, 1962
QUARRY MAN RECALLS CUTTING BARTON STONE —
Axel Steele, a tall, softspoken Swede who came to this country in 1896, when he was 19 years old, is seen here (center) explaining how marble is cut in a quarry. Listening to him are Park W. T. Loy (left), executive director of the Maryland Civil War Centennial Commission, and A. Lesley Gardner, chairman of the local Red Cross committee which has been in charge of erecting a monument to Clara Barton on the Antietam Battlefield. Steele came to this county in 1902, after working for five years in Vermont quarries with an older brother, Charlie (a "yiant of a man, big around and strong"). He was "channeler-runner" (operator of the machine that cut deep slices into the stone) at the Washington Marble Co. quarry, on what is now Marble Quarry Rd., near Trego, until it ceased operations in 1906. Later he worked at the lime plant in Berkeley Springs for seven years, then as "goose-neck operator" in the potash plant at Security. He retired to a small farm 40 years ago, on advice of his doctor, and continues to farm on a small scale today, at 85. He is married to the former Miss Myra Smith, of Locust Grove, at whose home he boarded when he first came to Maryland. The couple, along with one of their three children, will be guests of the local Red Cross chapter at the dedication of the Clara Barton monument this coming Sunday afternoon.
Hagerstown Daily Mail
Newspaper cutting provided by Phil Haynes, grandson of Axel Steele.
Quarries and quarrying, Maryland; Marble, Maryland; Washington County (Md.), history
Washington County (Md.), 1900-1950