Allegany County Md. Campaign Buttons 10
Burton Smith, a Republican, was elected to and served on the Board of Allegany Commissioners beginning in 1966. He was re-elected to a second term serving again from 1970-1974.
L. Wayne Lewis, a Republican and former Cumberland City Councilman from 1974-1978, and again in 1982, was elected Allegany County Commissioner in 1986, but resigned the following year in May 1987. He was replaced by the appointment of Ronald L. May, also a Republican, in July 1987. Always helpful, Lewis placed a Metric Conversion Table on the back of the card depicted on this page.
Russell Carder, who lost in the 1966 primary, Wilbur J. “Wib” Lancaster, and Edward E. Truly were among the unsuccessful Republican candidates for Allegany County Commissioner. An August fundraiser for Ed Truly at the Dan’s Mountain Recreation Center in Lonaconing served up corn, bean soup, hot dogs, Sloppy Joes and other refreshments, all for a meager donation of $5.00.
Lou Petronella, a Democrat, who handed out combs in his 1978 bid for Commissioner, was unsuccessful in his campaign effort, as was Carroll T. “Scratch” Stanley who noted, “Your support and influence is greatly appreciated.”
John Tucker Mason,, a Democrat, was elected to and served one term as Allegany County Commissioner from 1958-1962. The following accomplishments appeared on the back of his unsuccessful re-election campaign card:
Tax rate thirty-seven cents LOWER at end of four year term.
Originated $150,000 taxpayer profit from county money invested.
Voted for new county Library system.
Voted for A. C. C.
Teacher and county employees salaries increased during term in office.
New Pinto bridge completed.
Made funds available for industrial promotion.
No past record in county history can match this achievement.
A friend and neighbor with proven reputation of sound and fair business principles, free of any prejudice.
Campaign paraphernalia, Allegany County (Md.), History
Allegany County (Md.), 1970-2010