Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
South Cumberland Library, 1964-1982


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



301 Virginia Avenue, the home of the South Cumberland Library from 1964 to 1982. Cooperation between the Allegany County Library Board of Trustees and the South Cumberland Library Building Corporation paved the way for moving the branch library from a classroom at Pennsylvania Avenue School to Virginia Avenue. It had been at the school since 1934 and opened to the public at its new location January 22, 1965.

Located in the South Cumberland business district, the branch was more accessible to the public and the natural aversion of some people to patronize a public library in a school was eliminated. The room occupied by the new South Cumberland Branch was prepared without charge by local businessmen in the area.

A hardware store and post office had occupied the first floor and there were apartments on the second and third floor. The building at 303 was purchased by the South Cumberland Library Board and an opening was cut in the ajoining wall to make two rooms.




ID:
acla001

Collection Location:
ACLS

Subject:
Public libraries, Maryland, Allegany County; Allegany county Library System (Md.), Anniversaries.

Coverage:
Allegany County (Md,), 1960-2010

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image