Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
LaVale library, 1956


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



Century Club Worked For Library And Toll House

Another active community-minded organization is the LaVale Century Club which on January 24, 1952 was organized by ten women at the home of Mrs. William A. Douglas. The club charter was presented on June 3, 1952 and the members adopted as their first project, the establishment of a free public library. Each member donated a book and sponsored a fund raising event.

A year later on April 13, 1953, in a room at the LaVale Drug Store, the LaVale Library was formally established as a free public library. Seven hundred books were available and 76 people registered on the opening day. Members acted as librarians and took care of maintenance, decoration and furnishing the room.

By the fall of 1955, the library had grown to 425 members and 1,524 books. Due to the growing need for more books and more apace, the club obtained from Mrs. Helen Goodfellow the old State Police Barracks building.

Assisting the Century Club in getting the building remodeled into a library were the LaVale Lions Club, Boy Scouts, Civic Improvement Association and many individuals who donated their labor, money and materials.

Then in 1958, the library sought assistance from the County United Fund and two years later a committee from the Century Club convinced the county commissioners of a need for a county library system.
The expense of buying books, salaries and utilities are borne by the county but the building still belongs to the Century Club which is responsible for its maintenance.




ID:
acla089

Creator:
text from Cumberland News

Notes:
The former State police barracks became the library in September 1956

Date:
1970-04-27

Collection Location:
ACLS

Subject:
Public libraries, Maryland, Allegany County; Allegany County Library System (Md.), Anniversaries.

Coverage:
Allegany County (Md,), 1924-2010

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image