Story of Hagerstown Maryland, 1911
MILTON KOHLER & SONS, Practical watch-makers, jewelers, and opticians, No. 19 West Washington Street. Doubtless there is no citizen of Hagerstown or visitor to the City who has not from time to time been sufficiently attracted to pause at 19 West Washington Street and look upon the exquisite window displays, for there is something rich and attractive always to be seen in jewelry, or the daintiest bric-a-brac. The great business of Milton Kohler & Sons was established in 1875, in Ohio, and moved to Hagerstown in 1880. The wonderful success of this house reflects the highest compliments upon the sound business judgment and ability of its owners. This is, indeed, a very handsome store, and is regarded as one of the commercial show places of Hagerstown. This store affords gift seekers such an infinite variety of suitable and acceptable articles that one would be most fastidious indeed, who could not find just the correct thing.
D. C. AUGHINBAUGH & SON,
Manufacturing Pharmacists, wholesale and retail druggists. This is regarded as the pioneer house of its character in this part of the country, the business having been established In 1842. Mr. Wm. C. Aughinbaugh has owned the business for about eight years, and he is conducting the enterprise with marked success, and keeping up the old-time established reputation for fair and square methods, pure drugs, and reliable service. Mr. Harry C. Schwinger Is an able assistant in the general management of the business, and has an expert knowledge of its every detail. This store is located at No. 54 West Washington Street. It is handsomely appointed, and the stock is very complete. Special attention is made of prescription work, physicians' supplies, drugs and chemicals, pharmaceutical specialties, dental supplies and sundries. The store also contains a handsome and popular Soda Fountain.
MILLER'S FURNITURE STORE, No. 31 South Potomac Street. This is one of the great and successful furniture emporiums in Hagerstown, and the business has been established for about three years. The proprietor is Mr. C. G. Miller, a gentleman of large and varied experience in all matters pertaining to the furniture industry and the outfitting of homes. The premises include a large Two-Story building and basement, besides a large warehouse and show-room in the rear, making the total depth of the premises 240 feet. We find here the very finest of furniture, as well as furniture of medium grade and medium price, and unless the customer is awful particular, he or she will not experience any trouble in being able to select just what is wanted here. Many magnificent homes have been furnished from the great stock carried, and at terms and prices which are hard to duplicate.
WEST END PHARMACY.—This pharmacy is located at No. 345 West Washington Street, and the business has been established for some twenty years. It is one of the oldest and best known drug stores in the City, and has established a high reputation for strictly pure drugs and reasonable prices. The business has been owned by Mr. P. Parke Geiger for the past two years. He is a young man, and has a thorough practical knowledge of everything pertaining to the drug business, and he is conducting this pharmacy according to the highest ethics known to drug store service. The store is well fitted up, and contains a general stock of pure drugs, toilet articles, perfumes, sundries, etc. Prescriptions are a specialty, and at the Soda Fountain the most popular drinks are served.
S. F. SCHINDEL, Druggist, Dealer in pure drugs and medicines, No. 37 North Potomac Street, opposite the Market House. Mr. Schindel has been established in the drug business in this City for the past 18 years, and has occupied his present location for eight years. He has had 23 years of practical experience, however, and is regarded as one of our most highly accomplished pharmacists. His store is handsomely and appropriately furnished with all modern improvements, and everything about the store is in strict accord with the high character of the business. The general stock includes everything usually handled by high-class drug establishments. Prescription work is a specialty. At the Soda Fountain all the popular drinks are served. This is a very popular store and Mr. Schindel is conducting the business with ability and success.
FRANKLIN STREET TYPEWRITER EXCHANGE.—No. 60 West Franklin Street. This exchange is headquarters for Monarch typewriters, Victor Iron Safes, fishing tackle, sporting goods, umbrellas, and all necessary supplies pertaining to the different lines. Repairing is also given special attention. Mr. Chas. E. Brown is the sole owner and general manager of the business. He is one of the most successful business men of Hagerstown, and is a decided success. It is a well-known fact that he makes a success of everything he undertakes, but then he always handles meritorious goods, and anything sold by him is sure to give satisfaction. His customers are his best friends. Mr. Brown is a native of Hagerstown, well and favorably known, and established his business about 5 years ago. He is deeply interested in Hagerstown, and wants to see the City grow.
CHAS. F. STROLE, Dealer in groceries, queensware, etc., country produce a specialty, No. 18, North Potomac Street. This house occupies a position of prominence among the conspicuous and leading grocery establishments of Hagerstown. Mr. Strole established the business about five years ago. He is a native of Old Virginia, and during his residence in Hagerstown, has made many friends and numbers his patrons to a thousand. He carries a very select line of goods, and there is a great satisfaction in dealing with him. Mr. Strole has made a thorough study of the business in all its branches. He knows how to conduct a strictly high-class establishment of this kind, and is pleasing the trade. His business is growing daily. Mr. Strole is a popular man, and his house is in every way a reliable and trustworthy concern.
Clarence E. Weaver
Illustration: Kohler Building.
Western Maryland Room, Washington County Free Library
23 x 31 cms
Mail Publishing Co., Hagerstown
Business enterprises, Maryland, Hagerstown
Hagerstown (Md.), 1911