Story of Hagerstown Maryland, 1911
CHARLES E. RIGNEY.—Dealer in new and secondhand bicycles, 140 West Franklin Street. Mr. Rigney is a native of Baltimore, Maryland, but has been a resident of Hagerstown since 1862. He has spent about one-third of a century in the General Repair business, and has always been very successful in his work. He handles all kinds of new and second-hand bicycles, and gives special attention to sundries and of repair work of every description. His shop is well appointed with all tools and other necessary appliances, and no job is too complicated for him to undertake. His prices are always reasonable. This is the place to go for first-class work and satisfaction.
J. A. BREWER.—Manufacturer of Saratoga Chips, No. 217 W. Franklin St. This is the only exclusive factory of this character located in Hagerstown. It was established April 1st, 1910, and has been a success from the very first day of its opening. At the present writing Mr. Brewer gives employment to 7 people, and the manufacture of his products is done under the most thorough sanitary surroundings. His Saratoga Chips are absolutely unsurpassed, and are on sale at all the leading stores in the City. All orders are promptly filled and delivered, and the business is strictly wholesale. Mr. Brewer is a native of this County, and well and favorably known. Be sure and call for Brewer's Chips. For sale at all retail grocers.
SCOTT & MATTHEWS.—Western Maryland Elevator (formerly occupied by D. L. Kenly & Company). This is an old established business, and has existed under the present firm name for the past 4 years. The members of the firm are, Messrs. John A. Scott, and F. G. Matthews. They are dealers in all kinds of grain, feed, flour, coal, fertilizer, etc. The premises which are located on West Baltimore Street are especially adapted to the business, and have perfect facilities including railroad siding. Orders are promptly filled and delivered at lowest market quotations. These men are widely known throughout the community, and take an active interest in the upbuilding of the City. They are well pleased with the success they have achieved, and it may be said that their business is on a very solid and successful basis.
HAGERSTOWN DEPOT—ROBERT PORTNER BREWING CO.'S TIVOLI BREWERY.—The headquarters of this famous Brewery, is as is well known, is located in Alexandria, Virginia, and its leading brands are, Vienna Cabinet Standard, and Tivoli Hofbrau Export. These brands have both a national and international reputation, and in Washington the Capitol City, this beer is the most greatly to be desired by titled personages from all parts of the world. The beer has been steadily growing in demand, wherever it has been introduced. The Hagerstown Depot has been established for about six years, and Mr. D. G Cowhig has been manager for the past three years. He was formerly located at Charlottesville, Virginia, and has been connected with the Company for eight years. His high reputation as a successful manager is an assurance that any one dealing with the Company through him will receive fair and just treatment. The business is growing rapidly. They are also manufacturers and bottlers of Ginger Ale, Sarsaparilla, and all the favorite brands of soda and mineral waters.
JACKSON & KELLER GRANITE & MARBLE CO.,
Manufacturers and dealers in granite and marble monuments and building stone of every description, mausoleums, sarcophagus, tombs, bases, etc., floor, wall and mantle tile and fire place fixtures, original designs furnished on application; rustic work a specialty. The business of this concern has been established for about 25 years. It has been located at the present place, Summit Avenue, near the Post Office, since February of 1911. The large business requires the services of 15 people. The work is noted for its beautiful finish, and no establishment of this character in the State of Maryland has a higher reputation. The Company is incorporated with R. D. Keller, President and Treasurer, and E. M. Jackson as Secretary. The plant is well equipped with pneumatic and compressed air system, and only the very finest grade of marble and granite is handled.
EDWARD B. NOCK.—Dealer in fine cigars, chewing and smoking tobaccos, smokers articles a specialty, No. 36 North Jonathan Street. Perhaps one of the most widely known Cigar and Tobacco establishments of Hagerstown is that famous place conducted by Mr. Edward B. Nock, at the above address. Mr. Nock established the business about 11 years ago, and he has been conducting the enterprise with fine success from the very beginning. He has a good patronage. Mr. Nock is a native of this City, and he is well and favorably known as an honorable and reliable merchant. He handles the very best goods on the market, and you are always sure of a good smoke when you visit his place.
W. E. HOLLAND.—This gentleman is a dealer in all kinds of country produce, green fruits, vegetables, flour, etc., and all kinds of staple and fancy groceries, teas and coffees, canned and bottled goods, and table delicacies of every variety. Mr. Holland is located on Summit Avenue, corner of Baltimore Street, and has been established in the business here for the past three years. He handles the very purest of food supplies, and enjoys a liberal share of the leading families throughout this City. Mr. Holland is very swift in the making of prompt deliveries by automobile, and all orders taken over either 'phone will be as carefully attended to as if the customer called in person. Mr. Holland is very liberal and successful in his dealing, and he is giving genuine satisfaction to the trade. He is a firm believer in the future of Hagerstown.
W. W. WALKER, Wholesale Liquors, Imported Cordials, Wines, etc., jobber of Eastern Rye Whiskies, Bar Supplies, Corks, Flasks, Glassware, etc., No. 39 South Jonathan Street. This house has been established so long that it has become one of the land marks of Hagerstown. The business was established by the late Mr. W. W. Walker, in 1868. The present location has been occupied for the past 28 years, and since the death of Mr. Walker twentyone years ago, his esteemed wife, Mrs. Anna M. Walker, has ably directed the business. She has kept up the old time reputation of the house for the finest liquors on the market, and she enjoys the most excellent wholesale and retail trade. This is surely one of the best houses in the whole country at which to buy anything in the line of firstclass liquors. A large stock is carried at all times.
Clarence E. Weaver
Western Maryland Room, Washington County Free Library
23 x 31 cms
Mail Publishing Co., Hagerstown
Business enterprises, Maryland, Hagerstown
Hagerstown (Md.), 1911