Washington Street, 2010
From the library's website
Located in the historic district of Cumberland, Maryland, the Washington Street Library first opened it doors on June 19, 1934. This Greek Revival style building was constructed between 1849 and 1850, and was then known as the Allegany County Academy, the first public school in Allegany County. An addition was constructed in 1966, allowing for the expansion of the library collection. The building reopened after remodeling in February 2005.
Today, the Washington Street Library houses the largest reference collection in the library system, and offers an extensive local history area in the Maryland Room. Free internet access, audio books, magazines, DVDs, music, video games, Interlibrary Loan services, and an impressive collection of fiction and non-fiction materials are just a few of the services offered. Children's programs take place weekly.
John Taube, Director
Lisa McKenney, Public Services Coordinator
Jennifer Spriggs, Administrative Services Coordinator
Jason Armstrong, Workstation Coordinator
Maryland Appel, Branch Manager
Elizabeth Sell, Children's Librarian
Tour the library using Windows Media Player.
Public libraries, Maryland, Allegany County; Allegany County Library System (Md.), Anniversaries.
Allegany County (Md,), 1924-2010