Story of Hagerstown Maryland, 1911
M. P. MOLLER ORGAN WORKS.—The Moller Pipe Organ Works is one of the largest manufacturing plants in Hagerstown, and is the largest plant in America devoted to the manufacture of Pipe Organs. Mr. M. P. Moller first located in Hagerstown and began the manufacture of pipe organs in 1881, the original factory being located on Potomac Avenue near the Western Maryland Railroad. Immediately after the destruction of the original factory by fire, in 1895, the present factory was built and it has since been enlarged five times. The present plant is equipped with the most modern machinery and every appliance found to be advantageous to the work. Moller organs have been placed in thirteen hundred churches, besides a large number of colleges, residences, lodge rooms and other institutions. Many of these instruments rank among the largest organs in America and Moller organs are now in use in every State in the Union, besides several foreign countries. Visitors to Hagerstown are invited to visit this plant where every part used in pipe organs is manufactured, and to inspect parts under construction and materials from which they are made. Every organ is designed and built specially for the building it is to occupy and here will be found in course of construction pipe organs of all sizes. The Moller systems of Tubular-Pneumatic actions are protected by patents and on account of their simplicity and reliability are said by experts to surpass all others, but organs of this make are best known on account of their fine tone and high grade construction. One department of the factory has recently been devoted to the manufacture of organs for Schools, Colleges, Lodge Rooms, Residences and other purposes apart from church use to meet the large and increasing demand for such organs. The factory employs about 200 skilled workmen, a number of which have been employed there more than twenty years, while others came from other prominent American and European factories.
Among the M. P. Moller organs recently installed or now under construction are electro-pneumatic organs in the following churches: United States Military Academy, West Point, N. Y., 3 man. & echo). Calvary P. E. Church, Pittsburg, Pa., (3 man.) Israelite Anshi Cheset Temple, Cleveland, O., (4 man. & echo.) Euclid Ave. Presbyterian Church, Cleveland, O., (4 man.) Unity Church, Cleveland O., (3 man.) St. Clair Memorial Hall, Greenville, O., (3 man. & echo). St. Paul's Cathedral, Detroit, Mich., (3 man.) Citadel Square Baptist Church, Charleston, S. C, (4 man. & echo). Bedford Presbyterian Church, Brooklyn, N. Y., (3 man.) Training School for Teachers, Brooklyn, N. Y., (3 man.) Erasmus Hall High School, Brooklyn, N. Y., (3 man.) Russell Sage Memorial Pres. Church, Far Rockaway, N. Y., (2 man.)
GEO. B. McC. WOLF, Contractor and Builder.—This gentleman occupies handsomely fitted-up offices at No. 5 Court Place. It is with pleasure that we give him favorable mention in this industrial and commercial review of Hagerstown. He has held the position of leadership in the business of contracting and building in this City for many years. He gives constant employment to an average force of from 50 to 100 skilled men and has executed many notable contracts, and put up many of the finest buildings in this section, among which may be mentioned the Hays Bros. Building, the Poultry Building at the Hagerstown Fair Ground, and has the contract for the handsome new Country Club Building. Mr. Wolf is a prominent man of affairs, and deeply interested in the general welfare of Hagerstown.
J. H. BEACHLEY & CO., Wholesale Produce Commission Merchants, seed potatoes, onion sets, and oranges a specialty. The members of this firm are: Messrs. H. K. Beachley and F. C. Beachley, who have been identified with the business for many years, and they have had remarkable success. About three years ago their present handsome building was erected, it being 85x85 feet in dimensions, three stories high, of brick construction, and regarded as one of the most substantial buildings in the valley. It has every convenience for the conduct of the business on a successful basis. This firm handles an average of 300 cars annually, and the trade covers parts of Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia and Pennsylvania. They also have a branch house at Brunswick, Md. Several traveling men are employed.
CHAS. E. BAECHTEL, Fertilizer.—This gentleman occupies a nicely-fitted up office at No. 3 Court Place. He has been identified with the fertilizer business for twentyfive years. He is a native of this County, having been born near the City of Hagerstown, and is known by many farmers and land owners. Aside from this business Mr. Baechtel has been Secretary and Treasurer of Rose Hill Cemetery Company for twenty-four years.
THE ECONOMY CLEANING COMPANY, 424 W. Washington St., C. & P. 'phone 95-R. This is a recently established business, and is one that is proving a great success in doing perfect work in all lines of cleaning and pressing at popular prices. Mr. Walter Richards is proprietor, was formerly located in Pittsburg, Pa., and is thoroughly experienced. His place is equipped with the famous "Hoffman" Pressing machine, and he is prepared to give prompt attention to the cleaning and pressing of all ladies' and gent's garments, guaranteeing prompt service and first-class work at moderate prices. Ladies' Suits a specialty.
CHAS. McCAMMON.—This gentleman deals in all kinds of fresh meats, cured meats, bacon, ham, fish and poultry, fruits and vegetables in season. He is located at No. 14 North Potomac Street, and has both 'phones. Mr. McCammon established the business nine years ago. He is a native of this City, and one of our most popular and successful business men. He is making a wonderful success of the above market, and has a fine trade. This market is clean, thoroughly sanitary, and has the most up-to-date equipment. There is much pleasure and satisfaction in dealing here. Mr. McCammon does most of his own slaughtering, and is very careful to select healthy and fat stock.
Clarence E. Weaver
Western Maryland Room, Washington County Free Library
23 x 31 cms
Mail Publishing Co., Hagerstown
Business enterprises, Maryland, Hagerstown
Hagerstown (Md.), 1911