Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Story of Hagerstown Maryland, 1911


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



STERLING & SON.—In our Story of Hagerstown, it is well that we should make favorable mention of the leading and well-known Fish and Oyster house of Sterling & Son. The business has been established for a number of years. Mr. L. F. Sterling is sole owner of the business, and is ably looking after its every detail. He is a young man and is very progressive and successful in his dealings. His house makes a specialty of Milford Haven brand salt water oysters, clams, fish, crabs, and all kinds of sea foods in season. Crab meat is a specialty. This house is located at No. 6 and No. 8 East Washington Street, and is the only exclusive business of its character in the City. A fast automobile delivery system is in service. Md ' Phone, 375; C. & P. 'Phone, 103-F.

MILLER & WINEBERG.—Clothiers, Tailors, Hatters, and Gents' Furnishings, Shoes, Trunks, Satchels and Umbrellas, No. 5 and No. 7 West Washington Street. This is one of the fine and up-to-date establishments of Hagerstown. The business has been in existence for thirty or more years. Mr. J. Frank Miller has been identified with the house for about 28 years, and Mr. Henry Wineberg has been with the firm for 11 years. These men have a thorough knowledge of the business, and are conducting it with fine success. They are keeping up the old time reputation of the house for fair and square methods, and strictly high-class goods. The premises include a large four-story building, and the stock is most extensive and complete.

BLUE RIDGE HOTEL—This is one of the highly popular and successful hotels of the City, and is well located at the Corner of Potomac and Franklin Streets. Mr. O. J. Schlosser is the proprietor, and he has had charge of the business for about two and one-half years. He is a young man and a native of this City. He has been very successful in the conduct of the business, and is giving perfect satisfaction to his many guests. The Hotel is well furnished throughout, and the rooms are all kept clean and in first-class order. The rates are only $1.25 per day, and special by the week or for a longer period. There is a first-class Cafe in connection, and here is to be found many of the most famous brands of wines and liquors on the market, as well as the most popular brands of beers. Mr. Schlosser is polite and accommodating and has many customers.

BON-TON MILLINERY, S. May Proprietor, No. 15 North Potomac Street.—This business has now been established for two years, and it is one of the commercial successes of the City, so much so that during the busy season it requires sixteen skilled milliners and sales ladies to wait upon the trade. The proprietor, Mr. S. May, has had a vast experience and fully understands every detail of the business, and is giving perfect satisfaction to the general trade. He gained the larger part of his experience in New York City, which of course, is the leading fashion center of America. The premises are 20x102 feet in dimensions, and the stock is strictly up-to-date, comprising high-grade millinery and all kinds of ladies' ready-to-wear garments, Cloaks, and Suits, Furs, etc. The prices are reasonable. Mr. May wants your business, and he will do all he can to give you the best satisfaction.

W. H. WILSON & SONS.—This is one of the most widely known business firms of the City. It comprises in its membership Messrs. W. H. Wilson, W. H. Wilson, Jr., and J. E. Wilson. They operate two large and successful stores as follows: The Enterprise Grocery and Meat Market, located on Washington Square, and Wilsons' Market, located at No. 2 Public Square. They have been established at Washington Square for five years, and at the Public Square for one year past. The large business necessitates the services of three wagons making delivery. Everything about the establishments is kept in perfect order. The equipment is perfect, and there is genuine pleasure in dealing with the firm, for one is certain to get the very best and purest of pure food supplies in meats, vegetables and high class groceries of every character.

A. YINGLING.—Notary Public, takes acknowledgements for deeds, mortgages, bills of sale, pension papers prepared, etc. He also gives special attention to real estate. Office No. 1, Mealey Row. It is with pleasure that we make favorable mention of Mr. A. Yingling in this Industrial and Commercial Review of Hagerstown. Mr. Yingling has been a resident of the City for the past 48 years, and is a native of the grand old State of Maryland. He was a merchant for many years, and conducted one of the largest businesses in dry goods and carpets in this part of the country. He has been identified with his present line for the past four years, and is having wonderful success. He thinks that no city on the face of the globe is so dear and sweet as good old Hagerstown.




ID:
wchm021

Page #:
21

Creator:
Clarence E. Weaver

Date:
1911

Collection Location:
Western Maryland Room, Washington County Free Library

Original Size:
23 x 31 cms

Contributor:
Mail Publishing Co., Hagerstown

Subject:
Business enterprises, Maryland, Hagerstown

Coverage:
Hagerstown (Md.), 1911

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image